DAP 71164 946ml (Qt) Pink Drydex Spackling America’s #1 seller, contains a patented Dry Time Indicator causing the product to change color when optimum dry time is achieved. It goes on pink and turns white when dry! This unique feature is the indicator that it is ready to sand and paint.
Surface Preparation & Application:
1. Surface must be clean, dry and free of foreign material.
2. Stir thoroughly before use. (When using the squeeze tubes, knead tube prior to use. Remove cap and cut
nozzle to desired opening size.) Apply with a clean putty knife.
3. One application is usually sufficient for small repairs. For repairs deeper than 6.35 mm (1/4”), apply
two or more layers allowing spackling to dry between applications.
4. For a smoother finish, dip putty knife in water and lightly smooth spackling.
5. Spackling will change color to white when surface can accept a second application or is ready to be
painted or sanded in 1 to 5 hours. Wet sanding is recommended to avoid generation of dust.
6. Clean tools immediately with water.
For Best Results:
• Do not apply when temperatures are below 10°C (50°F).
• Do not apply outside if rain is expected within 24 hours.
• Do not use on floors or as a caulk, sealant or joint filler over cracks and joints where expansion and
contraction may occur.
• DO NOT USE AS A SKIM COAT.
• For exterior applications, always topcoat with a good quality exterior grade paint.
• If a textured finish is desired, add clean sand to spackling compound prior to application.
• Do not use for tuck pointing applications on brick
• For larger areas to be patched on bare concrete, use a latex fortified Portland cement-based dry mix.
• Must be painted prior to water exposure.
DAP 71164 946ml (Qt) Pink Drydex Spackling Physical & Chemical Characteristics:
Vehicle: Acrylic Polymer
Filler: Inert Filler
Odor: Slight Acrylic
Weight/Gallon: 1870 +/- 20 g/L (15.6 ± .2 pounds)
Solids: 77 ± 2% by weight
Application Temperature: 10°C (50° F) Minimum
Service Temperature: -18°C (0ºF) to 65.6°C (150ºF)
Shelf Life: 1 Year
Freezing: Freeze/Thaw Stable 5 Cycles at -18°C (0ºF)
Drying Time: 1 to 5 hours depending on temperature, relative humidity and depth of fill.
Painting: Takes either oil or latex-base paint
MSDS No.: 00010420605
Wash tools immediately after use with water. Be sure container lid is closed and tightly sealed. Store in a cool,
Clean The Surfance
Surface should be clean, dry and free of dirt, oil & loose material. De-gloss if necessary
Overfill the Repair Slightly
Overfill the repair slightly when applying so you can sand it down to a smooth, flat finish when dry. For repairs deeper than 1⁄4”, apply spackling in layers and let each layer dry before applying the next.
Interior and Exterior Applications
DRYDex can be used for both interior and exterior applications. For exterior applications, always topcoat with a good quality exterior-grade paint for long-term durability.
How do I tell if it is dry?
With DryDex Spackling, as soon as the color of your repair goes from pink to white and you don’t see any pink tones, it is dry. You can always touch the surface to see if it is dry and if your sandpaper starts to become clogged with spackling, wait and let the repair dry longer before sanding to a smooth finish.
Why would I use a heavyweight spackling, like DryDex over a lightweight spackling?
Unlike lightweight spackling, that is only ideal for smaller holes and dents in drywall, heavyweight spackling, such as DryDex, can be used on all size repairs. Whether you’re filling a small nail hole or a large hole in the wall that requires a wall repair patch, DryDex can complete the job.
When does spackling need to be painted?
Spackling should always be painted. It is not recommended that spackling be used on its own without painting and for exterior applications, a good quality, exterior-grade paint is recommended.